Sunday, October 24, 2010

Adventures in Furniture Refinishing

In these shaky economic times, no one (or no one I know) can afford to buy new furniture. Most of us can barely make rent. Fortunately, most furniture is really easy to refinish, and doesn't cost a lot of cash or time.

I've had this old entertainment center for years. When my parents bought it, it was pretty with its caramel colored wood, and it went well with our furniture. But it's been sitting in the storage shed for awhile, and it needed some love. I've always loved black furniture, so I decided to paint it. I bought black high gloss and some primer at Home Depot, and roughed up the surface with sandpaper so the primer would stick. After the primer dried, I rolled the black paint onto the large surfaces, and trimmed with a smaller brush. It only took an afternoon, and I'm really pleased with the results. I also bought some new cabinet knobs to dress the cabinet doors up a bit, but I have not put them on yet- still waiting for the paint to dry. Here are some pictures.





Again, this was super easy, and didn't take much time at all- just an afternoon. Time well spent if you ask me; my entertainment center looks brand new and a lot more stylish.

Let me know what you think.

Nay

4 comments:

  1. Looks great!! Didn't even recognize it. You look super cute painting it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful! I like black furniture, too! I've repainted a dresser, desk, and TV stand black :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you -- Thank you for your sweet comment. ::Hugs::

    P.S. Your DIY projects are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete